Message 1 of 1
I have just come through an experience that I want to share in the hope that it will save someone from what I just went through. I have been a diabetic for nearly 2 years and the sugar level was well under control. "Suddenly" I was in the emergency room with a sugar level of 700. I had not felt well for several weeks and had been treated, by the doctor, for "sinus infection", and "allergies". I had noticed that I felt worse after spending the day in the office and not quite so bad on the weekends. I went to my boss and told him I thought it was the building that was making me sick. Luckily, he believed me and called in contractors to start looking for bateria in any form any where. Finally one contractor found mold growing on the air in-take vent that is right over my desk. My doctor changed my allergy medication upon learning of the mold. Instantly I could breathe easier, but still did not feel right. Then came the trip to the ER. Since then I have been told, from several different sources, that the mold feeds on the sugar in the system and drives the sugar level up. It DOES NOT cause the diabetes, but sure cranks up the sugar level. Nice young men are crawling around the ceilings of our office this evening in their haz-mat gear to sanitize the ducts. I have been home from the hospital stay a week now. Of course I am taking several kinds of medication at this point, but the sugar level went down to 117 this morning. If the mold had not been found I may have spent the rest of my working years in and out of work and in and out of the hospital, and perhaps even on insulin, or worse. Please be aware if your sugar level goes up during the week and down on a long weekend or while on vacation. It may not be just that you might eat better at home, your building may have problems too. If so, I hope your company is as wonderful as mine.