Message 1 of 1
My first suggestion in regards to finding out more information about Latex Allergies is to go to your local hospital and talk to someone involved with employee health. They are one of the largest users of latex supplies and have to stay very well informed. Other than that, latex allergies may effect up to 25% of the population (was the last report I heard). The reactions can range from a mild rash to difficulty breathing to anaphylactic shock. The reactions can take from minutes to hours to occur. When treating people with latex allergies, it's not just the patient who needs to be treated but the whole family. The reason is that there are several proteins which make up the latex and taking off the gloves or not touching the balloon (yes a normal kids balloon)may not be enough. Several of the proteins can be released into the air (especially with balloons or powder gloves) and the proteins can come off the gloves and stay on the hands. You'd be surprised how much / how little it takes for people to react. Families with a Latex sensitive member need to be careful to wash hands and not come home with airborne proteins that have landed on their clothing. Also, latex may not be something a person has always been allergic to. Allergies (especially Latex) can be developed and the reactions may worsen over time and with each new exposure. Again, though, make sure to get in touch with a local hospital and see what handouts they have on Latex allergies.